Monday, October 12, 2009

Talking Points #4

Linda Christensen
"Unlearning the Myths That Blind Us"

1. "When we read children's books, we aren't just reading cute little stories, we are discovering the tools with which a young society is manipulated."

- When I first started reading this document, I was in awe that I had never realized the impact of Disney movies or childhood cartoons on my life. I never thought about how those movies or shows reflected the society we live in. When you are young, you do not know how to be critical of these things because you don't notice them nor are you taught about them. I cannot think of how many times my cousins or little sister and I used to play "princesses." We would pretend to be the damsel in distress because that's what we saw in the movies. We would dress up and pretend to put make up on because if we wanted our knight in shining armor to come and save us, we had to be the "most beautiful one in the land." It is amazing how once your eyes are open to these things how you tend to see it in everything.

2. "Brazilian educator Paulo Freire wrote that instead of wrestling wit the words and ideas, too often students "walk on the words." If I want my students to wrestle wit the social text of novels, news, or history books, they need the tools to critique media that encourage or legitimate social inequality."

- This quote reminds me of Johnston. We need to name things in order to face the problems. If students are too afraid and try to tip toe around saying something "politically incorrect," then what needs to be said in order to fix things are not expressed. Its like when someone represses their emotions. If a person does this to a major extent it can potentially affect their health. So many people end up with ulcers this way. This is a good metaphor for what happens if people don't name the words for the problems in this world. The repressed feelings become backed up and then come back and kick us in the behinds. The ulcer is left behind in its place and the problem continues and becomes worse.

3. "They can't escape, and now that they've started analyzing cartoons, they can't stop analyzing the rest of the world."

- This reminds me of this class. Every time we read or discuss something in class, I am more aware of it. I see diversity and its injustices everywhere I look now. This course really opened my eyes to these issues that we try to pretend aren't there. I like being aware of these things. It makes me better understand the nature of people and it makes me think of possible solutions.

I really really liked this article. I was able to zoom right through it. I liked how it linked with so many of the other things we have learned so far in the semester. It goes right along with how we are taught to be blind to privilege. It is interesting how so much of our childhood is ruled by this "secret education." I really like this area of study, analyzing the motives behind certain things. I can't wait to discuss this article in class!!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your response to quote three. Sometimes you are "blind" to certain things. But, once you become aware of it, its all you see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your first quote. The Princess photo is a nice touch. I can remember doing the same thing as a child. I was blind to the stereotype of Disney and other media.I like reading articles like this because I was naive and didn't paid attention that princesses, superheros, TV, billboards and even Santa were all white. This reading is a perfect example of being taught to be blind to privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love your first quote and the picture you included with it. I agree when I was little I loved Disney movies and after reading this article I was shocked how true it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incorporating the picture of the Disney princesses really makes you think and realize that stereotypes, looks and the way you act are shaped by society... Whether you want to deny the fact it will always be true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first quote is definitely true by stating that we realize how our young society is manipulated. Also, the picture was a good way to express what you were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your picture added so much to your post. I fyou like this kind of analysis, you should take the WMST 350 course I am teaching in the spring called, "Teenagers in/and the Media"

    ReplyDelete