Monday, September 21, 2009

Talking Points #1

Peggy McIntosh
"White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack"

First, I have to say, I found the Jonathan Kozol reading, "Amazing Grace," extremely interesting. I really liked the way he wrote, he made it more personal. I really felt for the people he interviewed in his document. However, I feel as though I have more to say about the Peggy McIntosh reading. I also liked McIntosh's style of writing. It was much easier to read than Delpit, and also, I think, more interesting. I chose three quotes from the reading "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack."

1. "As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage." (page 1)

- I completely agree with this statement. However, I find it weird that I have never realized this before either. Also, it seems strange that this is a true statement, even though it does make perfect sense. If you think about it, in any situation that there is a, lack of a better word, less dominant group, being taken advantage of due to something like racism, then there is also always a dominant group who does have the upper hand. It kind of reminds me of a parasitic relationship. Only one party benefits from the relationship, and in the case of racism, it is usually white people.

2. "...one's life is not what one makes it..." (page 4)

- I chose this quote because I felt it was a very interesting truth that is almost never addressed. All through life I feel like people tell you that your decisions will shape your future; it all depends on you. However, this is only partly true. Like Peggy McIntosh says above, "one's life is not what one makes it." No can control the race they are born into, or the gender, status, orientation, etc. These factors that are beyond our control shape the lives we live. Granted, our decisions can also lead us, but ultimately, these factors already have such a major influence on the paths we take and where we end up.

3. "I can choose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color that more or less matches my skin." (page 4)

- I just thought that this was a fascinating little realization. Obviously flesh comes in more colors than just closer to fair shades, but why then is "flesh colored" chosen as the standard. It seems inconsiderate in itself to use such a general term for an array of different skin tones. Also, this leads me to ask, do any band aids come in darker colors? I have never seen them, but I feel like they should exist because of this dilemma.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you say while talking about the second quote you choice. You said that, "No can control the race they are born into, or the gender, status, orientation, etc. These factors that are beyond our control shape the lives we live."

    I couldnt agree with you more. Their are certain aspects of each person that we are born into. Sometimes people forget that we were born this way, and treat others as if they had a choice. The real question here is how are you going to deal with it? Thats what life is all about. Are you going to pretend your something else so you fit into the "norm" of society? Are you going to live day to day angry and hating the world? Hopefully, you accept who are, and embrace it. If others dont agree with it, then they arent worth it. People should get to know you for you, not for certain aspects of yourself in which you didnt even choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked what you said about the flesh colored bandaids. I have never seen darker shades of bandaids which I find a little weird. you would think that they would have some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the image of racism being a parasitic relationship is really powerful!

    ReplyDelete